When I was making plans for my new craft room I decided that I wanted a stand-up craft table. I looked around online and found several but they were fairly expensive. I almost bought this one from Overstock.com but since I was going to be placing it against a wall I was going to lose access to some of the storage shelves and it was almost $200 plus shipping. I decided that I could make one for less money if I bought the components from Ikea.
I bought two of the four square Kallax bookshelves and a table top from Ikea. Deciding which components to buy took some time - we looked at several options and finally decided that these three pieces would work except that it wouldn't be tall enough. Ikea also sells 6" and 8" legs but they were out of stock. I ended up buying eight 6" legs from Menards. They were wood, not white like I wanted, so I used craft paint to paint them all white. I also bought eight mounting plates from Menards.
To add the legs I screwed the mounting plates to the bookshelf, and then the legs screwed into the mounting plates. I added four legs to the bottom of each bookshelf, one on each corner. For each plate I measured in 1.5 inches from each side, then used my pencil to mark each of the holes.
Once the holes had been marked I used my drill to drill each of the holes. The hardest part was deciding which drill bit to use because my drill came with all kinds of bits. First I had to find the right ones for wood and then I had to select the size of the bit.
If you are a serious carpenter you may want to skip this part. The way I decided how deep to drill the holes was very scientific . . . I did my best to make sure each pile of sawdust was about the same. That's it, and it worked perfectly.
This photo shows the height difference between a bookshelf with legs and a bookshelf without legs. When I bought the legs I was worried that the table may not be tall enough, but the 6" legs made the table just the right height to work comfortably.
Once the legs were mounted to the bookshelves I placed a piece of shelf liner on top of each bookshelf to keep the table top from shifting. You could screw the top to the bookshelves or use glue, but I wanted something a little less permanent. I've used the table several times and the top stays in place, so this method seems to have worked well. You can see in the photo that the shelf liner I used is ribbed, which I think helps.
Each of the bookshelves cost $34.99 and the table top was $25.99 for a total of $95.97. I didn't save the receipt for the legs and mounting plates and I don't remember the exact cost, but they were around $30. The total project cost just over $100 and it's sturdy and looks nice.
If you are thinking about adding a stand-up workspace to your craft room or office give this project a try. If you do, I'd love to hear how it went for you and of course, feel free to leave questions in the comments.